Sunday, November 15, 2009

How I stopped an Alien Invasion using Proportion


I was captured by aliens. They were boring. Then told me to do 3 proportion problems or they'd blow up earth. With nothing better to do I just did what they told me.

Two quarters have the same value as ten nickels. What is the value of five quarters in nickels?
There are 25 nickels for every 5 quarters.

The next question they asked me was this:

At an amusement park, a new thrill ride was introduced. It costs $7.50 for 3 rides on the Wild Slider.
a) What is the Wild Slider’s unit rate per ride?

rides/$ 3/7.50 3/3=1 7.50/3=2.50 $2.50/per ride

b) At this rate, what would it cost for 18 rides on Wild Slider?Determine the answer two different ways.

rides/$ (take the unit rate) 1/2.50 1x18=18 2.50x18=45
It costs 45 dollars for 18 rides.

The second way I did this was starting from just 7.50 for 3 rides.

3/7.50 3x6=18 7.50x6=45 it's almost the same thing, just a little different.

The third problem they gave me to solve was this:

David can saw a log into three pieces in 7 min. If he continues sawing at a constant rate, how long will it take him to saw a similar log into six pieces?

Logs & pieces/minutes 3/7 3x2=6 7x2=14 6/14
It will take 14 minutes to saw a log into 6 pieces.

They just left not saying anything. I found out later that they had been a hallucination because of a new medication I had been prescribed, I was sort of disappointed.

No comments:

Statcounter

Lorem Ipsum

About This Blog

Calculator





powered by math calculator at calculator.net

Search This Blog

  © Blogger templates Psi by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP