Sunday, November 15, 2009

How I Stopped An Alien Invasion Using Proportion

I was attacked by aliens. They held me as hostage and they would not let me go unless I solved 3 proportional problems.

They gave me the first proportional problem and I solved it correctly. This is how I solved it .

1. Delia was paid $35 for 5 hours of babysitting . How much should she receive for 3 hours?

I divided 5h by itself and got to an hour . Then I divided $35 by 5 and got to $7. I multiplied 1h by 3 and I got 3h. Then I multiplied $7 by 3 and got $21.

Delia will receive $21 for babysitting in 3 hours .

The aliens gave me the second proportional problem and I solved it correctly. This is how I solved it.

2. David can saw a log into three pieces in 7 minutes . If he continues sawing at a constant rate, how long will it take him to saw a similar log into six pieces?

3 pieces of log multiplied by 2 would equal 6 pieces . So then I multiplied 7 minutes by 2 and got 14.

It will take 14 minutes for David to saw 6 pieces.

The aliens gave me my final proportional problem and I solved it correctly. This is how I solved it.

3. Last night 30 cm of snow fell in 6 hours . If it continues snowing at the same rate , how long will it take for 45 cm of snow to fall ?

I divided 6h by 6 and got to 1h. Then I divided 30cm by 6 and got to 5. I multiplied an hour by 9 and got to 9h . Then I multiplied 5cm by 9 and got to 45cm.

It will take 9 hours for 45cm of snow to fall .

The aliens released me and went home crying . x]

No comments:

Statcounter

Lorem Ipsum

About This Blog

Calculator





powered by math calculator at calculator.net

Search This Blog

  © Blogger templates Psi by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP