Sunday, November 1, 2009

Elaine's Rate Growing Post

My Rate Growing Post
Part 1

Ratio - Compares two quantities measured in the same units
Rate - Compares two quantities measured in different units

The difference between ratio and rate is that rates have quantities of different units and ratios are measured in the same units.


Page 60, Question 9

9. Mala is shopping for honey. Her favouri
te brand is available in two sizes. a) Estimate which is the better buy. Show your thinking.

I think the larger jar is the better buy because i rounded both to the nearest whole dollar. So it will be $3.00 and $10.00. The large jar is 4 times as big so I multiplied 3 by 4 to get $12.00. Since it is only $10.00 it is $2.00 cheaper which makes it the better buy.

b) Determine the better buy. Show your work.

The better buy is the large jar. I got my answer using a ratio table. I didn't do anything to the small jar but instead divided the bigger jar by 4 so it will also equal 250 mL.

Page 61, Question 11

Shannon buys 12 granola bars for $9.96.

a) Determine the price per bar. Give your answer in dollars and cents.

For one granola bar, it will cost $0.83. I got the unit rate by using a ratio table.
b) Explain whether your answer in part a) is a ratio or a rate.

The answer in part a) is a rate because the two quantities are measured in different units.


Coin Math Question

If the jar is equal to $100 and there is 3270 coins in the jar, what is its unit rate for every dollar?

I got my answer using a ratio table.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Part 2


We got a recipe which serves 4 people:
Spaghetti sauce converted into ml
1/2 lb ground beef
1 medium onion diced
1 celery finely sliced
1 clove garlic
420 g can of tomatoes chopped
1/2 can of tomato paste
5 ml parsley
7 ml basil
5 ml oregano
5 ml sugar
2 ml Worchestershire Sauce
2 ml seasoning salt
1 bay leaf

1) What would the recipe look like if it had to serve 10 people? Show your calculations.

The recipe would look like this if it was to serve people:

1 1/4 lb ground beef
2 1/2 medium onion diced
2 1/2 celery finely sliced
2 1/2 clove garlic
1050 g can of tomatoes chopped
1 1/4 can of tomato paste
12.5 ml parsley
17.5 ml basil
12.5 ml oregano
12.5 ml sugar
5 ml Worchestershire Sauce
5 ml seasoning salt
2 1/2 bay leaf

I got my answers by multiplying the amounts by 2.5 because to get 10 starting at 4, you would have to multiply it by 2.5


2) What would the recipe look like if you had to only serve 1 person? Show your calculations.


If the recipe were to serve only one person, it would look like this:

0.125 lb ground beef
1/4 medium onion diced
1/4 celery finely sliced
1/4 clove garlic
105 g can of tomatoes chopped
0.125 can of tomato paste
1.25 ml parsley
1.75 ml basil
1.25 ml oregano
1.25 ml sugar
0.5 ml Worchestershire Sauce
0.5 ml seasoning salt
1/4 bay leaf


I got my answers by dividing the numbers by 10. When I was working with fractions, I first converted them into decimals and then did my dividing. After I divided, I converted them back into fractions.

No comments:

Statcounter

Lorem Ipsum

About This Blog

Calculator





powered by math calculator at calculator.net

Search This Blog

  © Blogger templates Psi by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP